Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Napping: Day One

Today I decided it is time for me to take charge of Elijah's napping situation. Of course, I choose to start the day after he wakes at 3am, nurses, wakes again at 5:30 and we sleep in the recliner until 8. But there will always be something to stop me so I went ahead with it.

Well I noticed he was yawning and staring off at 9:15 so I tried to nurse him and when he didn't want any of that I rocked him for a bit and put him in his crib. He immediately started crying, but I walked out. I let him cry for 45 minutes during which I started a load of laundry, cleaned the litter box, and did my bible study work for the day. At that point I couldn't take the crying anymore so I went in and picked Eli up.

Then this afternoon he nursed from 1-2pm and fell asleep on my lap. I rocked him for a few more minutes and then put him in his crib. He slept for 15 minutes and then woke up crying. I let him cry again for 45 minutes and when I went in to pick him up he was still going pretty strong.

I'm not sure if this is the absolute best thing for my baby, but I have to try something. He needs to learn to fall asleep on his own and naps are so important for babies. Everything I have read says good day sleep equals good night sleep and that babies who nap are happier. I'll give this a try for a while and if I don't see any improvement I'll find something else.

One thing that will not help my plan but something I have to work around is a bible study I'm doing on Thursdays from 10am-noon. It is a great program and I'm looking forward to studying Revelation. They also have a children's program and a nursery for babies under 2. Unfortunately Elijah spent almost the whole time last week crying. Loudly. Even though the sweet ladies held him the whole time. However, this was the first time he has been separated from me and not been around someone else he knows (Eric, Grandma, or Grandpa) so that is most likely the problem. Hopefully he will adjust soon. It's wrenching to know he'll start crying as soon as I leave him but it will be good for him. Right?

1 comment:

  1. Yes. It is good to have him around other people and working through this. Sean is having the same separation anxiety. I wish I could help with the napping thing and make it easier for you...but you're right...it's a process that you have to figure out and find what is best for him. You'll figure it out soon.

    ReplyDelete