Sunday, September 25, 2011

Busy Book

In anticipation of our trip next week to Switzerland (to visit my mom's family) I have been working on a quiet book for Elijah (also known as a busy book). I still have one page I'm working on, but I finally got some pictures taken to put here.

I took a lot of inspiration from other blogs and have links listed below if anyone is interested. I also inspired my sister-in-law Sarah to make a book for Timothy. (But then I stole some of her page ideas so I think it's an even exchange.)

This is my first major (or minor) sewing project, so while it's not perfect I'm actually really happy with how it turned out. I hand-stitched most of the pages because I'm not great with a sewing machine, but it kept me occupied while Eli was busy playing by himself and didn't want Mommy's interference. It did turn out to be bigger than I meant (approximately 13x13) but at least this way we're less likely to lose it!

  Fleece cover that doubles as a pillow
 Our contact info and tie your shoe
 Button balloons and velcro shapes
 Book pocket and snap on apples
 Button search and counting beads
 Zipper ark with finger puppets and mailbox with notes inside
 Matching memory game with flaps and back cover
 Velcro name and pants with belt and button shirt
Turned out a bit thicker than I planned

Links to inspiration:





3 comments:

  1. Your book came out SO CUTE! You should be so proud with it and I am sure Eli will enjoy it. You'll have to let me know how much of the plane ride it occupies him for. :) Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love this! Good job Michelle, and I am positive it will come in handy on your long airplane ride. What a great idea to make a cover that doubles as a pillow! I love it! Thanks so much for emailing me. I really enjoy seeing people's finished products! You should be very proud of yourself, and I'm sure Elijah will treasure this always. -Anna (quietbook.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Looks awesome! Hope it keeps him occupied for the whooooole trip :)

    ReplyDelete